One of the richest countries, not only in the Middle East, but globally as well? Qatar! The Pearl Island there is an artificial, man-made island of nearly 4 sq kms, located near Doha’s business centre, West Bay. Due to its charm and grandeur, it has been described as the “Arabian Riviera” and is one of the most sought-after areas to live in.
However, if looking for an apartment for rent in The Pearl, there are many factors to consider before making a hasty decision. The same goes for potential buyers, looking for apartments for sale in The Pearl.
We lead you through the details, step by step.
Budget: Accommodation can be pricey, especially in this area. A budget needs to be computed, depending on the type of accommodation required. The housing is varied – there are many to choose from – apartments, townhouses, residential towers, penthouses and villas in The Pearl Island. The accommodation will depend on the budget. This should also include possible additional costs such as maintenance, parking and use of other facilities. There are low and peak seasons and it is possible to negotiate a good rental during the low season.
Location: This is another important aspect.
- If you are working, you will need to search for a place in the business district or elsewhere with good transport facilities for commuting. For students, proximity to the place of study could help. Cars, taxis, bus services and even the water taxi service are available, as well as the Metrolink, which connects Pearl Island to Legtaifiya station.
- If on holiday or relaxation, choose a place which suits your personal requirements. Looking for shopping opportunities as well as access to the beach? Areas like Porto Arabia would provide both. On the other hand, if looking for peace and quiet, the more serene areas like Qanat Quartier could be the answer.
Pearl Island is made up of 12 districts, each with its own beauty and advantages.
Amenities: These should be checked out, depending on the budget and type of accommodation.
- For rented accommodation, ensure that shopping, restaurants, entertainment venues and health care facilities are easily available.
- Serviced apartments can provide hotel-like amenities such as room service, laundry, cleaning and free internet services.
- For the more affluent, luxury apartments with parking space, a private gym and swimming pool with 24-hour security are available.
Naturally, the more amenities provided, the higher will be the rent.
Licensed Real Estate agent: Professional estate agents have in-depth knowledge of the market and will be able to assist in finding the perfect property for you, suitable to your personal requirements as well as your budget. They can also guide you with viewings and warnings of any potential risks. Since they are familiar with government and other regulations regarding rental procedures, they are able to protect your rights as a tenant.
Lease contract: This needs to be completed as per Qatari law, with all the conditions clearly identified – such as security deposit, length of the lease, rental amount, payment procedure, early termination fee if applicable, whether furnished, semi-furnished or unfurnished and other such details. The property should be legally registered and comply with zoning regulations. The lease is usually prepared in Arabic with an English translation. The housing laws in Qatar are strict and need to be followed. Your agent can assist with going through the lease contract with you, leading to finalisation of the same.
Documentation: It is important to ensure that all documentation is completed before occupation. A valid passport, Qatar residence ID card, payment for the security deposit and post-dated cheques for rent payments are required. Additional helpful documentation would be a salary slip, employer’s or sponsor’s ID card or trade licence and, if applicable, your marriage certificate.
Potential buyers: Expats are now able to buy property in Qatar and, in return, receive a permanent visa. Also The Pearl Island, Qatar, is the first area to allow freehold ownership, which is an added asset.
Conclusion: Choosing the perfect accommodation in any place involves much research, planning and even risk-taking. It can be stressful wondering how you will adjust to the new life and surroundings. However, The Pearl Island is home to a multicultural expat community which makes it easier for people to interact and integrate. Once the above step-by-step guide has been studied and a positive reaction to rent or buy property in The Pearl Island has been taken, there will be no regrets.