QuickBooks accounting software is popular for its features, functionalities, and ease of use, and has gained popularity at large in just the last few decades. However, it is not perfect and users from all across the world are subject to errors in this software. One error that is commonly seen and reported is the QuickBooks error code 6000, 83. In the last few years, many users have reported that they are encountering an error (-6000, -83) while they are trying to access, restore, or backup their company files. The 6000 series errors can be very much annoying for the users to tackle, and at the same time, they can be very much time-consuming.
The article will talk about QuickBooks error 6000 83, which occurs when QuickBooks tries to access the company file. Here are some troubleshooting steps to fix this error.
What is QuickBooks error code 6000, 83?
Sometimes, QuickBooks gives this error when there is a problem with the file. The error message may say: “QuickBooks cannot get information from the company file.”
“An error occurred when QuickBooks tries to access the company file. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact Intuit technical support and provide them with the following error codes: (-6000, 83)”.
Data is like a precious resource. Knowing how to fix mistakes and avoid future errors will help you recover from the effects of an error. There are many causes for this error code, so we’ll explore the possible resolutions in our article on QuickBooks error code -6000.
What May Cause QuickBooks Error 6000, 83?
Check out the possible reasons a QuickBooks error -6000, -83 appears.
- You may get this error if you are using a non-U.S. or non-Canadian version of Windows or have ‘Regional Language Settings’ option set to another language besides English.
- File extension incorrect.
- To help with an incomplete QuickBooks installation
- Check the network server and QBDataServiceUserXX access, or check the Windows admins.
- There is a damaged company (.qbw) file
- Damaged or corrupted QB company file or the shared folder.
- QB Company is a file system and applications hosting service that offers unlimited storage.
- When you try to convert the QB Company file of earlier version over a network.
- It cannot be determined where the file extension is in the format of .qbm or .qbw.adr.
- The hosting is enabled on both servers and at least 1 workstation.
On the Linux servers:
If there is no qbdir.dat file exists or if the QuickBooks monitor is not monitoring the QuickBooks Company file in the directory.
If the machine is being unable to ping the name of the server.
Also Read: QuickBooks Error code H202
How To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Company File Error 6000 83?
QuickBooks error 6000 83 is a common issue that can be resolved using some of the solutions we have described.
Solutions 1: One-stop solutions to fix 6000 83
Step 1: Download & Install QuickBooks Tool hub 2021.
Get started with QuickBooks Tool Hub by downloading the QuickBookToolHub.x64.exe file, and make sure to install the tool appropriately.
Step 2: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor is an effective tool that can resolve common company file and network issues in the application. To run the tool:
- In the TOOL HUB, choose the “company file issues” tab.
- There, go with open QuickBooks File doctor,
- QuickBooks File doctor may take a while to load the complete program appropriately“.
- Start QuickBooks without opening the company file.
- From the File menu, select Utilities.
- Next, click on Repair File and Network problems to open the QBFile Doctor Tool.
- Click on Browse and select the company file that needs to be repaired. Click on Open.
- Select the type of automatic fix on the left side of the screen. Then click Next to start fixing errors.
- Enter the administrator user name and password and then navigate to Next when prompted.
Solution 2: Turn off hosting on all Workstations that Access the file Over the Network
For the QuickBooks desktop, if you use more than one system, you can configure only one of them to host the company file.
Follow these steps to turn off all workstations from hosting.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop. Use the File tab to choose “Utilities”, then select it.
- From the list, if you see:
- Host Multi-User Access – The computer is not hosting the QB company file. You can go to the next system.
- Stop Hosting Multi-User Access – Select that option, then:
- In the ‘Stop hosting multi-user Access’ window, click on the “Yes” icon.
- In the ‘Company file must be closed window, click on the “Yes” icon to continue & go to the next computer.
Solution 3: Move Company File to a New Folder
First, you will need to move the company file to the local storage of your system. Next, follow the instructions below for a solution if you receive an error when taking a backup.
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop on the company’s file server computer by selecting the Quit QuickBooks Desktop option under the File tab.
- Press Windows + E to open Windows File Explorer and open the C drive.
- Now right-click in the empty area on the screen and select the Folder option under the New drop-down menu.
- Name this folder as QuickBooks Desktop Test Folder.
- Now open QuickBooks Desktop and select the options to create a backup of the company file.
- Once QuickBooks asks you to select a location to save the backup file, select the folder that you created in the previous step.
- Now try to restore the company file using the backup file saved in the new folder.
If you are having a QuickBooks error 6000 83, try this solution to fix it. If not, then create a new company file and rename your old one so that you don’t accidentally open it.
Solution 4: Checking the name of the backup file
In order to avoid any kind of hassle, you are supposed to remove all sorts of special characters in the name. The steps to be followed are:
- Open windows start menu.
- And then type file explorer and then open the same.
- After that look for the folder having the company file and then open the same.
- The next step is to click on the file with .qbb extensions.
- And then, choose the rename option.
- Once done with that, delete any kind of special or unwanted characters from the file name.
- And then right-click the folder and select rename option.
- Remove the special characters from here as well.
- And lastly, restore the company file.
Solution 5: Try to Reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop program
- Keep your QuickBooks program license information in a safe place. This is the first and foremost step.
- Uninstall the current install QuickBooks program from the control panel.
- Now, Download the QuickBooks Desktop program set up according to your license version.
- Start the install QuickBooks program and fill up all license-related requisite information.
- In the end, Go back and open the company file.
This troubleshooting technique explains how to fix QB error 6000 83 when opening the company file. However, if you are still unable to resolve the error 6000 83 from your QuickBooks desktop application. Then, you should place a call at +1-800-901-1342 because your QuickBooks desktop application needs to apply the advanced troubleshooting steps to get it fixed right away.